Most Americans oppose biological males from competing in women's sports competitions and gender-affirming care for minors

Fifty-seven percent believe that a person's gender is determined from birth, according to a survey by KFF and The Washington Post.

Recently, the debate on the trans issue has become one of the hottest topics in the country. Republicans are trying to pass laws to ban gender reassignment treatments from being performed on minors, while Democrats oppose them. Some celebrities are in favor and others are against, some even taking back their own previous statements. Female athletes complain about having to compete with trans athletes (biological men) who have better physical conditions.

With all this in mind, what do American adults think? It turns out most are against underage medical treatments and trans participation in women's competitions, according to a recent report released by polling firm KFF and The Washington Post.

Not only that, but 57% of Americans believe that a person's gender is determined from birth, compared to 43% who believe it can vary. As expected, when trans adults were asked, only 20% said they believed that a person’s sex at birth is permanent while 79% disagree.


The majority of the respondents do not believe that identifying as a woman is a good enough reason to participate in women's sports. Sixty-two percent of respondents believe that trans people should not be able to compete against women and girls. Twenty-eight percent of trans adults agree.

This is true for all levels of sports: youth (with 65% of the adult population against it), high school (66%), college (65%) and professional (65%).

However, 54% indicated that they are concerned that not being allowed to participate in sports will affect the mental health of minors who identify as trans. On the other hand, 46% said they were generally not concerned. Eighteen percent even stated that they were not concerned at all.


No to puberty blockers and no to hormone treatment for children. That's what more than half of American adults think. Specifically, 68% oppose puberty-blocking medication for young people aged 10 to 14, and 58% oppose hormone treatment for teenagers aged 15 to 17.

Gender-affirming therapy receives more support. More than 60% of respondents were in favor of allowing minors to receive this type of treatment.

In the classroom

Is it appropriate for teachers to discuss trans identity in public schools? Responses varied depending on the age of the students.

Seventy-seven percent believe it is inappropriate to address the issue between kindergarten and third grade. Seventy percent find it inappropriate to discuss it in 4th and 5th grade, and 52% are against bringing it up throughout middle school.

It is only in grades 9 and 10 that the majority of adults are in favor of addressing the issue in the classroom. Sixty-four percent of the respondents were in favor of bringing up the issue in high school compared to 36% who remained against it.