England's King Charles III asked the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to vacate Frogmore Cottage following the release of the controversial Netflix series and Prince Harry's memoir.
British media reported that the monarch told his youngest son to remove his belongings from the property that forms part of The Home Park in Windsor, just 24 hours after Harry published Spare, the autobiography that caused a worldwide stir.
"We can confirm the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been requested to vacate their residence at Frogmore Cottage," a spokesman for the couple said, without giving further details.
The 10-bedroom house had been a gift from the late Queen Elizabeth II for Harry and Meghan Markle when they married in 2018, and the couple occupied the property when visiting the UK, so Charles' decision leaves his youngest son without a residence in the country.
LONDON: Prince Harry and his wife Meghan are being evicted from their home on the British royal family's Windsor estate, leaving them without a UK base, reports said on Wednesday. #BangkokPost #World #Netflix https://t.co/rHhT18gp1x
— Bangkok Post (@BangkokPostNews) March 1, 2023
However, with this decision the King not only reprimands Harry for the scandals he caused that has shown the British monarchy in a very bad light, but also solves Prince Andrew's housing problem.
It should be recalled that Charles III is also looking for his brother, the Duke of York, to leave the Royal Lodge mansion where he has lived since 2003. But according to various media reports, Prince Andrew has been reluctant to leave the 30-room property.
"Andrew is resisting the idea of moving into Frogmore Cottage after he was offered it last week.But it shows Harry and Meghan are powerless to stop the eviction" a source told The Sun.
Some media reports indicate that a move may be inevitable because Prince Andrew is unlikely to be able to afford the upkeep of the Royal Lodge mansion.