Connecticut shooting leaves two police officers dead, one critically injured

For now, it is only known that one of the suspects died at the scene and the other was taken to the hospital for serious injuries. Their identities have not yet been released.

Two police officers were killed and another was critically injured after a shooting in Bristol, Connecticut. State Police reported that the officers were attacked while responding to a domestic violence call involving two brothers, the alleged suspects, at a home in a residential area.

The deceased were members of the Bristol Police Department and were identified as Dustin Demonte, 35, and Alex Hamzy, 34. One of them died on the spot at the time of the shooting and the other died in the hospital. The serious condition of the third injured officer, 26-year-old Alec Lurato, is unknown.

Suspect shot down

In an official press conference, state officials stated that the attacker died, and his brother, who was with him, was injured and taken to the hospital. So far, the suspects’ identities have not been released and no further information is available about the circumstances that prompted the domestic call to authorities, the motive for the shooting, or whether there were any other victims at the scene.

"Flags at half-mast"

The police asked for prayers for the families of the fallen officers and for the one who is still hospitalized. Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont ordered flags be lowered to half-mast across the state today.

Lamont also said in a statement that the situation is "a devastating reminder of the dangers that police officers face every day to protect families and neighbors from all kinds of situations. These officers are heroes and will always be remembered for the honorable service they gave to their city and state."

"This continues to be an active situation, and I have directed Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP) Commissioner James Rovella and the Connecticut State Police to support the Bristol Police Department and the community at large in any way they can," he added.

Ted Krawiec, an eyewitness to the shooting, told WFSB Channel 3 the terrifying sensation of having heard two rounds of shots before state police responded to the area. "We just, we heard the shots like 'pop pop pop pop pop pop' and then they stop for about 30 seconds and then another round of 'pop pop pop pop pop' and then it just stopped. After that, we started hearing sirens and everything else," he said.