For the upcoming midterm elections, in six key states - Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, Ohio and Pennsylvania - Catholic voters are backing Republican candidates more than Democratic candidates, according to a new EWTN News/RealClear poll.
The survey conducted by Trafalgar Group indicated -with 63.1%- that the economic concerns of Catholic voters in key states is the most important issue above all others, outweighing, immigration and border security (11.4%), abortion (7.3%), climate change (7.2%), health care (4.5%) and crime (3.7%).
President Joe Biden suffers from high disapproval (62.2%) among voters who practice this faith. He only has an average support of 35.4% of Catholics. In 2019, the Pew Research Center reported that 47% of Hispanics define themselves as Catholic.
Candidates for governor
In the case of gubernatorial candidates, only in Pennsylvania does Democrat Josh Shapiro hold a narrow 6 percentage point lead (with 50.8%) over Republican Doug Mastriano (44.5%). In the other states, the GOP holds the advantage:
- Arizona: Republican Kari Lake (52.5%) beats Democrat Katie Hobbs (46.9%).
- Nevada: Joe Lombardo, Republican (55.6%) is ahead of Democrat Steve Sisolak (34.2%).
- Georgia: Brian Kemp (R) with 67.1%, ahead of Stacey Abrams (D) with 31.1%.
- Ohio: Republican Mike DeWine (61.3%) is ahead of Democrat Nan Whaley by (34.4%).
- Florida: Governor Ron De Santis, Republican, with 61.4%, beats Democrat Charlie Crist (34.5%).
Candidates for Congress
Republican Senate candidates are all in the lead heading into the midterm elections. In Arizona, Blake Masters (R) leads Senator Mark Kelly (D) by 5.1 percentage points. In Florida, Senator Marco Rubio (R) wins by 22.2 points over Val Demings (D). In Georgia, Herschel Walker (R) leads Senator Raphael Warnock (D) by 32 points. In Nevada, Adam Laxalt (R) is ahead of Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto (D) by 20.3. And in Ohio, JD Vance (R) outscored Tim Ryan by 14 points.
2022 Midterm Elections: Catholic Voters In Battleground States Largely Support Republicans, New Poll Finds
⦿ @EWTN / @RealClearNews and.
⦿ @trafalgar_group (3,133 LV, 10/14-18)https://t.co/wpLNeJ5z0V pic.twitter.com/ESZKyPtsmC
- InteractivePolls (@IAPolls2022) October 26, 2022