The federal government and the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) issued warnings Tuesday after several cases of fungal meningitis were detected in Americans who traveled to Mexico for surgery.
The focus was in the border city of Matamoros, where a good number of U.S. citizens go after hiring the services of aesthetic clinics for lower prices than those north of the border. According to American medical authorities, the meningitis infections could have been caused by poor epidural anesthesia practices.
Malas noticias: la CDC lanza alerta por casos de meningitis fúngica en ciudadanos estadounidenses que se realizaron procedimientos quirúrgicos en la ciudad de Matamoros . 👇https://t.co/cZ7CfoQBgz pic.twitter.com/9yFnqk1BMb
— Ramiro Esparza (@docramiro) May 17, 2023
The CDC and the Texas Department of Health are asking those who have had an epidural anesthesia injection to go to a medical center as soon as possible on an emergency basis. According to authorities, there is currently one death related to the Matamoros outbreak. DSHS reported that there are at least five known cases.
Authorities ask to cancel upcoming surgeries at Matamoros
"It is very important for people who have recently undergone medical interventions in Mexico to monitor themselves for symptoms of meningitis," said the DSHS commissioner responsible for this case, Dr. Jennifer Shufford. "Meningitis, especially when caused by bacteria or fungi, can be a deadly disease if not treated in time," he added in a statement.
American health organizations are also asking U.S. citizens to cancel or postpone future surgical operations in Matamoros, especially those involving the use of epidural anesthesia, such as liposuction.
Meningitis is an infection and inflammation of the meningeal fluid and membranes surrounding the human brain and spinal cord. Its most common symptoms may be headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, confusion, sensitivity to light or neck stiffness. Meningitis fungal infection is not contagious from one patient to another.