Taylor Swift resumes her tour after the death of a fan in Rio de Janeiro

The singer will perform again Monday in Brazil after postponing "The Eras Tour" due to high temperatures.

Taylor Swift is set to resume her tour tonight after the death of a fan in Rio de Janeiro. Last Friday, in the middle of an intense heat wave, Taylor Swift took to the stage to continue her "The Eras Tour."

Hours later, the death of a young fan, Ana Clara Benevides Machado, 23 years old, was announced. She went to the Nilton Santos Olympic Stadium, where Swift was set to begin her show in a few hours, with a bottle of water. However, the people in charge of security at the venue forced her to throw away the bottle. After that, the young woman suffered cardiac arrest in a room that reached a temperature of over 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

Taylor Swift heard the news and was quick to take action. In a statement that she published as soon as she heard the news, the singer assured that she was "devastated" after learning of the young woman's death:

Screenshot of a story published by Taylor Swift giving a brief statement about the death of a young woman in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
(Instagram: Taylor Swift)


A day later, temperatures were still too high, and Swift made a decision: for the first time on the tour, she was postponing a show. The artist decided to reschedule the show 48 hours later, on Monday night. Swift made the announcement through a story she posted on Instagram:

I’m writing this from my dressing room in the stadium. The decision has been made to postpone tonight’s show due to the extreme temperatures in Rio. The safety and well being of my fans, fellow performers, and crew has to and always will come first

This, explains Elle magazine, will prevent the singer from attending Monday's football game between the Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles to see her boyfriend, Travis Kelce, play in Philadelphia. She intended to make a stop there before returning to Brazil for her next concert, which will take place on Friday, Nov. 24, in Sao Paulo.